Lockhart Tea Estate
Located in Munnar and 14km away from Pallivasal, The Lockhart Tea Estate was originally constructed in 1936. The Lockhart Tea Museum was opened to the public on 22 January 2014. The museum is part of the Lockhart Estate, which is one of the oldest tea plantations in Munnar. The estate was established by Baron John Von Rosenberg and his son, Baron George Otto Von Rosenberg in 1879. Initially they planted cinchona then coffee and later turned to and settled with tea.
The Lockhart Tea factory produces about 20 million kilograms of tea annually and is owned by Harrison Malayalam Limited, one of South India’s largest tea cultivators and exporters.